Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Final Project Rough Draft

For my final project as I have posted previously is a fanfiction based off of novella Carmilla. For my fanfiction what I have decided to do is write the story from Carmilla’s point of view. After thinking it over I have decided not to rewrite the scenes in the story from Carmilla’s point of view, finding that repetitive and boring, instead I intend on sticking to what goes on in between the moments that are described to us. What I have posted is I guess what you could call the first chapter. As you will see I decided to depict a softer side of Carmilla.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Title
(I haven’t come up with one yet but if anyone has an idea I am open to any suggestions.)

As the carriage races through the forest of Styria towards the schloss of my next prey, an unnerving feeling begins to radiate throughout my lifeless body. I have been eagerly dreading this moment for the better part of thirteen years. Our reunion.

Being of an age so great that its numerical value has lost all significance, to say that I have experienced almost every emotion known to man would have been a statement that I would have attributed to myself if it were not for the event that took place that fateful day. This feeling that I speak of is one even after all these years I am unable to label and one that has haunted me everyday since. Having lived in the same manner, playing the same role, for so many centuries I had gotten to a point where I lost all interest in my life, finding no pleasure in what I at one point in time believed to be the greatest life one could life, a life of invincibility. This life and all the feelings that accompanied it came crashing down thirteen years ago, and since that day I have been going on in almost a trance like state, speaking the lines of deception that I have recited so many times before, and taking the innocent lives of people in a jaded haze. These thirteen excruciatingly long years, which at one point in time I would have thought of as nothing more than a mere blip in my eternal existence has been filled with anticipation for the reunion with the girl who awoke the emotions in me which I experienced not thirteen years ago in the very schloss which we are fast approaching at present.

As the tops of the towers of the Gothic schloss come into view I take a deep breath as the memories come flooding back. Remembering the moment I first made my way up the tower, which was topped with a steep oak roof, to the large room that housed what I thought to be nothing more than my next victim. I can still recall with excruciating detail the feelings that ran through me the second I laid eyes on her, her with her porcelain skin and angelic face like I have never seen before. I stood there for what felt like hours in a trance, mesmerized by her, completely unaware as to the passing time and my mission in coming here in the first place. The piercing eyes that fluttered open and landed on my shadowed form finally broke my trance. Finally recovering my senses I was about to gather my composure and focus on my reasoning for coming here, when the most unexpected thing happened…she smiles at me. It was that smile that broke through my barriers and lured me to her side, where to my complete astonishment, she welcomes me with open arms. Upon lying in her arms I was flooded with her intoxicating scent, that sweet scent that is so familiar and yet laced with something I cannot describe. My primal need taking over and I lean over her in my attempt at obtaining my first taste of her, when upon lowering my teeth to her delicate skin I am met with a piercing scream that I would have thought impossible to come our of such a small being. It was this cry that caused me to flee before I was able to get my first taste of her or even one final glance.

Remembering that night, as I have so many times before, I am once again overcome with a wave of emotions. Hatred for the torment that she has put me through for so many years, curiosity for what it is in her that has elicited these feeling from me, fear for the control that she has over me, and the most overwhelming emotion of all is that of anticipation for what there is to come with our reunion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what so you think? This is just a rough draft of the first chapter and is subject to change so if you don’t like something or think I should add something please tell me. I know this isn’t much; I have some more written but am still not confident with it. Is there anything you think I should change or any suggestions on where you think I should take it? This being my first fanfic ever I am not very comfortable writing them so any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated☺

When it comes to the Irish novel the thing that I have found to be one of the most prominent features in the style of writing is its disjointed nature, which I might also add was one of the most frustrating aspects of this style of writing. Another principal characteristic of this style of writing, which is probably the most important aspect of the style, is its use of historical, political, and economic conditions to influence and shape its novels and their tone. When I first took the course and read about the Irish novel and how its style of writing was so different to the traditional style of writing and how it is seen as a “troubled” genre I remember thinking, how different could it really be? Well, I soon discovered how truly different the Irish novel could really be, and although sometimes I was frustrated by the style of writing I have to say that it is unique to say the least. The biggest thing that I will take away from this course is the extensive Irish history that I have gathered throughout the semester from both the independent research I gave done along with what I have gathered from the reading that we have done.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are an incredibly talented writer. I admire your skill. Your story is incredibly detailed and beautifully written. I like your approach of writing from Carmilla’s point of view. Do you intend to just write the first chapter or the entire story? I’m a fan of the Twilight Saga. (Lame I know). For those of you who haven’t read Twilight, it is narrated by Bella Swan, a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire. Stephenie Meyer, the author of Twilight wrote a piece titled Midnight Sun which is the same story told through Edward’s point of view. Edward is the vampire that Bella falls in love with and is essentially the “villain” in the story. It is really interesting to see his point of view because in Twilight Bella perceives his passion for her as his intense love, however from Edward’s point of view we see that his passion is mostly stemmed by his intense craving for her blood. Maybe you could incorporate in your story the way that Laura and Carmilla’s perspectives differ.

    I think you are off to a really great start. I can’t wait to see your final product. I can’t think of a good title. Maybe, Eternal Existence or like you said in one of your sentences, Lines of Deception.

    In your final course reflection you said that one of the most prominent features in the style of writing is its disjointed nature. I couldn’t agree more. The Irish novel is very challenging and non traditional in terms of the disjointed structure of writing. The Irish novel also incorporates the use of historical, political and economic conditions, which can be confusing to a reader that isn’t educated on those conditions. I agree one of the biggest things I have learned from this course, is the Irish history that we have learned and researched.

    Good luck with your final draft. Don’t be afraid to take risks. I think you have a great thing started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a clever idea and I think it’s coming along very well. I’m also doing a story of Carmilla, but a modern-day twist, and I was having trouble deciding how I would write it, like what chapters to do and what not. I didn’t want to rewrite the whole entire story in modern-day style, but I want to provide enough information so that it doesn’t seem “lacking.” But back to your story—I found it really intruiging and interesting to see Carmilla’s “side” of the story, and I definitely think it works. It’s interesting to see her point of view, and I think that more stories should have this because it adds so much more dimension to the story. So keep up the good work! I thought it was also interesting when you said, “When it comes to the Irish novel the thing that I have found to be one of the most prominent features in the style of writing is its disjointed nature, which I might also add was one of the most frustrating aspects of this style of writing.” That I have to totally agree with. I mean, I’m sure there’s a specific reason why Irish Literature tends to ramble a lot (to the Irish, at least) but the stories would have been twice as interesting (and half as long) if they were written differently. But that wouldn’t make them Irish novels now, would it? Anyways, I have enjoyed reading your blogs for class and have found your input to be helpful. Good luck with your further education! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very very creative. As I said to Lucky I lack the ability to do what you've done and to turn the story around into one told by an opposing character? Kudos! You were very descriptive and the word choice was honestly everything! I feel like so many novels could benefit from this turn around and I think many readers would love to see this very thing done.
    I agree with you that at times this genre could be very very frustrating but in all honesty I think that I've benefitted from the frustrations... to be exposed to a completely new area of writing was really something. I look forward to seeing your final project. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I really liked your writing style. The way you put a new perspective (through Carmilla) on the story is very impressive. I like how there is a modern element to the story now because it is giving back a certain "humanness" to a monster. Readers in the Victorian era where allow to safely explore the subject matter because Carmilla is left somewhat ominous and inhuman...by showing us her emotions we connect and sympathize with her more (bringing us even closer). Anyways, I thought you've done a fantastic job so far!! I was also wondering if you are planning on writing the whole thing from her pov? I also really look forward to reading the whole thing :)

    ReplyDelete