Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Gathering

Whenever I think about The Gathering the four words that come to mind are bitter, bleak, depressing, and, sorry Anne Enright, boring. While I was not a big fan of the particularly slow pace of the novel, the thing that really bothered me about the book was how every time Veronica Hegarty recalled a past memory, or even just narrated something that was happening in the present, she would conclude it by saying something like “This is real, I think. This is real. Though I am not sure that it is, actually.” (151) That is what drove me crazy, how after every story that she told she would say how she was not even sure that it happened. I felt like I was wasting my time reading tedious and very bitter accounts of a mad women who was not even confident in her own credibility.

I understand that being that The Gathering was a novel written in the first person that whatever was told is subjective. Reading Breakfast On Pluto it was quite easy to discern what Pussy was imagining and what was real, but where Veronica is concerned nothing she says is credible. Even the central plot of the story, the sexual abuse that Liam experienced as a child resulting in his suicide was put into speculation when Veronica stated, “I know that my brother Liam was sexually abused by Lambert Nugent. Or was probably sexually abused by Lambert Nugent.” (224)

While I truly did not like Veronica Hegarty and all her bitterness and hatred, I did find her to be quite interesting. This fascination in Veronica is stemmed from the belief that she was mad, or well on her way. Her inability to tell which way was up, what really happened and what she made up, which I believe I sufficiently explained above, was a sure sign of her psychosis, in my opinion. Another aspect that I found to be just as interesting was her bitterness and hatred toward almost everyone she new. Veronica’s bitterness toward her mother, a ''piece of benign human meat, sitting in a room,'' was based on the fact that she had “twelve children and…seven miscarriages. The holes in her head are not her fault. Even so, I have never forgiven her any of it. I just can’t…I do not forgive her the sex. The stupidity of so much humping. Open and blind. Consequences, Mammy. Consequences.” (7) At the wake Veronica accuses her ‘vague’ mother, who was so absent-minded that she was absent altogether, of the death of Liam. “The year you sent us away, your dead son was interfered with, when you were not there to comfort or protect him, and that interference was enough to send him on a path that ends in the box downstairs.” (213) Aside from blaming her mother, Veronica also blamed her father for the death of Liam, in almost the same way in which she blamed her mother, for having “sex the way his children get drunk – which is to say, against his better judgment.” (228) Veronica even went as far as to blame Ada Merriman, her grandmother, for marrying Charlie Spillane instead of Lambert Nugent, Liam’s molester “She did not realize that every choice is fatal. For a woman like Ada, every choice is an error, as soon as it is made.” (110) All of this blame, though some of it absurd, I believe was placed by Veronica in a way of hiding her own guilt in doing nothing about the molestation when she found out, except run upstairs to the bathroom “with an urge to pee and look at the pee coming out.” (146)

Veronica is suffocated with resentment of her parents for their prolific insensitivity, of her husband and siblings for their inability to share her despair and of herself for her inaction in being able to save Liam from himself. What I have discerned from all of this is that Liam’s death coupled with Veronica’s bitterness and hatred for almost everyone in her life has caused her to follow in her uncle’s footsteps and go mad.

*I apologize for any sort of confusion that my blog may have caused. In my defense I am very sick and on a couple medications, combine that with The Gathering and you have a very jumbled up blog that quite possibly does not make any sense. Sorry*

5 comments:

  1. Grrr this novel confused me as well! All of these novels seem to confuse me, and by the end of the day I just feel dumb, so pardon me if I’m GLAD that other people were also puzzled about this book. I loved when you brought up the point, “…every time Veronica Hegarty recalled a past memory, or even just narrated something that was happening in the present, she would conclude it by saying something like “This is real, I think. This is real. Though I am not sure that it is, actually.” (151) That is what drove me crazy, how after every story that she told she would say how she was not even sure that it happened.”
    This bothered me too. I feel like everyone else is so confident to write their true feelings in their blogs about what they thought about the novel and I am realizing that I just don’t put enough into my blogs because I’m afraid I will be considered slow to understand the novel or wrong. But it comforts me to know that I’m not the only one who ‘got’ the novel and that it’s okay. Ok so anyways, back to the novel! In this book, Veronica really did not have any credibility on accounts of what she recalled happening to Ada and Lambert. I think this may be what confused me the most in the novel. Was it real? Or was it just her imagination? What IS real in this novel? I think Veronica may have a mental disease and that’s the true meaning behind this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fay,

    I totally understand your frustration. The narrators in these novels are so tricky! I haven’t completely finished the novel yet, but I’m getting there (Student teaching kept me very busy this week). You said that sometimes it is hard to discern what passages are figments of Veronica’s imagination and what passages are real. Perhaps Anne Enright did this on purpose. In severe cases of trauma a person really does get kind of ‘messed up’ Sometimes the brain actually shuts down and blocks out extreme trauma from the memory. Maybe Veronica truly doesn’t ‘remember’ what really happened.

    In the book Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (don’t read the next paragraph if you plan on reading this book) a high school student takes a gun to school and kills and injures many of his classmates. There are a lot of other plot developments, but I won’t get into all of that, anyways, the shooter is bullied and recently lost his brother etc. So he shoots up his school (not cool) He use to be best friends with the most popular girl in school, Josie. Josie’s boyfriend is the main person that bullies Peter. During the shooting, Peter corners Josie and her boyfriend in the gym. Josie sees that her boyfriend is about to shoot Peter (he gets a gun somehow or something like that, I read this book years ago) and instinctively Josie protects Peter (her childhood friend) and kills her boyfriend. She protects the bad guy. She kills her boyfriend. Josie is so traumatized by the events that she doesn’t remember clearly what has happened. She doesn’t even remember towards the end of the book that she was the one who killed her boyfriend, not Peter.

    So anyways, (I’m also exhausted and feel like I’m blabbing and it probably doesn’t make sense to anyone but myself) Perhaps this is what happened to Veronica. Or perhaps she was so young when all the events unfolded that her undeveloped brain couldn’t retain what actually happened.

    I totally agree with you about Veronica’s mother. I don’t think it is fair for Veronica to blame her parents for Liam’s suicide. Veronica’s mother has been through a lot. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I’m glad it made me think of the book Nineteen Minutes because I had completely forgotten about it until now. Funny how certain things trigger things in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fay,

    I'm very glad to see you're at least getting better, and its okay if things are getting jumbled, things happen. Now onto the confusion that can't be blamed on medication.

    I guess I can see the confusion. I also was a bit bored with this novel although its mostly because, once again, the lack of a clear cut timeline gets to be a little disorienting in my opinion, I can only imagine how you dealt with it. Now you also commented that "Veronica is suffocated with resentment of her parents for their prolific insensitivity, of her husband and siblings for their inability to share her despair and of herself for her inaction in being able to save Liam from himself." I can definately see this point. I just hate seeing someone place the blame on themselves for the suicide of another person. Death is something that usually can't be controlled. Suicide is an act of selfishness... and I'm gonna stop there before I actually do climb up on my soapbox.

    I liked reading your blog this week, then again I usually do so its good to see the trend continue. Keep up the good work.

    WS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fay,

    I liked reading your blog this week because it gave me another perspective; however, I have to totally disagree with some of your comments…sorry. So, first of all the comments about Veronica’s lack of credibility because of her comments like,

    “This is real, I think. This is real. Though I am not sure that it is, actually.” (151) That is what drove me crazy, how after every story that she told she would say how she was not even sure that it happened.”

    As Nicole stated in her comments, after a seriously traumatic experience, sometimes you just can’t remember what actually happened. It’s called repressed memories. It’s your brain’s way of trying to protect you from reliving the horrible things that you saw or had happen to you. Not to get too personal here, but I’ve lived through physical and sexual abuse as a child. Some things I remember way too clearly and some things I wonder, “When did that happen again?” or “Was it this time that this incident occurred or was it a different time?” Seriously all this stuff can really, really mess with your head. Thank God for psychologists and good drugs ;)

    Anyway, the next section you talked about was the issue of blame. I too thought Veronica was quite angry and bitter, but here again, I can relate to this situation as well. I haven’t made it all the way through the book yet, but blaming a parent and other adults in general is not too uncommon in situations of abuse even if the parent wasn’t the abuser. It’s the fact that the parent or adult didn’t protect the child in order to prevent the issues. As a child, you expect the adults in your life to be there to protect you and not hurt you. As an adult when you fully realize that this protection didn’t happen like it should have, you get angry and you get bitter even if it wasn’t directly that adult’s fault. Trust me; it has taken many, many years to forgive my parents and other adults for not protecting me as a child. Thankfully, I’ve been able to move on and I believe have become a much stronger person because of it all. Like they say, I can forgive, but not necessarily forget.

    One last comment, WS, you commented about suicide being a selfish act and by no means do I think suicide is a good idea. I understand why you stated it’s selfish, but when you are to that low of a point in your life, trust me, the last thing you are usually thinking about is anyone else’s feelings. It’s just not possible, you truly can’t think straight during a time like that. So much so that you often can’t even realize or think to get help.

    Again, sorry to get so personal. Obviously these issues are way too familiar for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting discussion here. I wonder if instead of seeing Veronica's mental trauma, her anger toward her mother, and Liam's suicide as something *literal,* we can see perhaps aim to see these aspects of the novel as something symbolic, figurative, and meaningful in regards to the historical and social context in which it was written. If you haven't read Lucky's or Lucy in the Sky's blogs yet,

    http://morganthoma.blogspot.com/2010/04/there-are-tigers-in-ireland.html

    http://english263lucyinthesky.blogspot.com/2010/04/gathering.html

    I would suggest it because I think they provide some valuable background that can help us read these characters in a much more symbolic way. How might we relate the way in which Veronica changes her narrative so many times or struggles with her memory? Could this be a factor of living in a "modern" Ireland that wants to forget the past? Could Veronica's anger towards her mother be symbolic of an anger towards "Mother Ireland" that asks its women to do nothing more but perpetually breed (keep in mind that you could not purchase condoms in Ireland til 1993 and abortion is still illegal)? How might we see Liam's hopelessness as symbolic of the people who were "left behind" by the Celtic Tiger economy?

    I really like the debate that started here, and I hope you will explore some of these questions on this week's blog.

    ReplyDelete